Wednesday 14 September 2016

Not the place for a eulogy, but here it is

Time went by.  We changed, I changed.  Things change.  
That's what I like to tell myself.  
But I loved you.  I think I did.
You were such a big part of my life then.
I loved the way you made me feel.
Worthy.
Your words were like strands holding me up
When I wanted to fall
Never did I feel that before.
You helped me through so much.
You told me you loved me.
And I believed you did.

But love was not ours.
We both knew.  I think.
There was a forever promise before God.
It was never meant to be and that was okay.
Love is not always meant to be.
It felt cruel in the end.
If I hurt you, I'm sorry.
But I know you were where you were meant to be
In the end.

So many times I wanted to call.
But was afraid of the stirring it might awaken.
So I let it sleep
But you played in my mind in time lost.
Now forgotten.

I like to think that you really loved me too
That "love" was borne in empathy for another soul,
Hurting with a cry that only you could hear.
Only you responded to the murmur.
For this, my soul thanks you.

I am so moved by your passing.
Somehow, I don't have words to adequately express
my gratitude.

I carry you with me in my scars, memories.
Time cannot take that.
Parts I've forgotten, parts I remember
You were a beacon, a light
in my time of trouble.

I will always remember.

No comments: